Sunday, January 22, 2012

Unplugged

About a week ago I deactivated my Facebook account and disabled my cell phone. I was so fed up with how my life was going, how people on Facebook were so self righteous about things they knew nothing about and how folks who didn't even know the people they were verbally attacking were doing so anyhow. I was sick of the constant barrage of that coming to my cell phone - invading every moment of my life. So, I cut it all off. I have since reactivated my cell phone but Facebook is still deactivated and only one email account is still associated with my cell and that is only because it's is required. (For whatever reason.)  Honestly, I don't miss it much. I miss my gals from the WWW Retreats I have attended, but not the rest.

I now check my email on my laptop every other day or so - I really like it that way. Instead of reading every post about someones politics, good day, bad day, likes, loves and hates, I can now concentrate on those things about my own family and myself. It's amazing the time I was taking away from my own life and my family time to be so in tune with the lives of others.

I've started blogging again - something I had gotten away from. I like the more specific audience as opposed to all of my Facebook friends who, for the most part, have no clue about this life my family is living. They feel sorry for us, but we don't need their pity.

I feel more in touch with what I need. And what my family needs. My chores don't seem so laborious and my errands and lists are getting done. And I feel less stressed, less like I am drowning. It feels good.

I know it is hard for most my age to remember the days when we didn't live like this. It makes me sad that the current generations know nothing different. They don't know the fun of letter writing instead of email. Or phone calls instead of texts. Life was more personal way back when. We had real friends instead of Facebook friends. We met for movies, dinner and game nights. I miss that. I got so wrapped up in being plugged in that I ignored my need for personal relationships.

I don't know if I will return to Facebook. If I do, it will be with rules and time constraints. I don't want anything to rule my life like social networking did. My husband was so right, I was on Facebook all the time. Sadly, now he is, And I feel the same irritation that he did. Maybe he will get to the point I am at, as well. His iPhone is so new to him that it may take a while. Or maybe, he will see the difference that unplugging has made for me.

Have you unplugged lately?

No comments: